Sunday, August 19, 2012

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my intellect, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. You have given all to me. To you, Lord I return it all. All is yours. Give me only your love and your grace and that is enough for me. -- St. Ignatius of Loyola

     In loving memory of the famous Jesuit peacemaker, Fr. Richard T. McSorley, S.J., as we approach the 10th year of his passing from this life to the next in October.  He was also born in October, on the Feast of the Guardian Angels (Oct. 2), one day before the death of St. Francis of Assisi and two days before the feast of St. Francis (Oct. 4).  He certainly was a channel of peace, as St. Francis advocated.  He created the first degrees in Peace Studies (a major and a minor), which has gone around the world in most Catholic Universities and colleges.  He designed the multi-disciplinary model and taught the Peace courses at Georgetown for over thirty years, which I was fortunately able to take as a young woman.  I am forever grateful that God had placed him in my path!
     Interestingly, the first "heavenly body" who appeared to the children at Fatima before Mother Mary, identified himself as "The Angel of Peace."  We have another "angelic" ambassador of peace in heaven to intercede for us, born on a feast of angels.  May we Christ followers be solely peace to the world, as Fr. McSorley was, and Christ's Apostles were, and as was foretold about Christ in Micah (Sept. 8th reading): "... he shall BE peace," and not instruments or channels of war and killing. This St. Ignatius quote was on his funeral card and speaks of the testament of his sacrificial life, peaceful life, following in Christ's footsteps.  His most famous book is The New Testament Basis of Peacemaking.  Perhaps our intercessory petitions for world peace should be addressed to, in addition to St. Michael the Archangel and others, to the Angel of Peace who appeared at Fatima, which makes a lot of sense - AND Fr. McSorley - PRAY FOR US!     Presente!